The Wytheville Police Department underwent a name change in 1994 to the Wytheville Department of Public Safety, which incorporated all emergency services (Police, Fire, Animal Control and Building Inspections) for the Town of Wytheville.
The Wytheville Department of Public Safety Police Department has a long history of providing service and protection to the citizens of the Town of Wytheville. There was only one officer that serviced the Town until the late 1920's when a second officer was hired.
During the 1950's, the Department's size grew to six officers and continued to grow to ten officers in the 1960's. The late 1960's also saw an end to the way officers were contacted to respond to calls. When a call came into headquarters, a light hanging over the old Chitwood Hospital/Leggett's building on Main Street was turned on. Officers driving or doing foot patrol, upon seeing the light, would then respond by going to the police office, get the call, answer the call, and then reset the light and return to patrolling. Portable radios were later purchased for the department and the light system was discontinued.
Annexation by the Town of Wytheville in 1970 and 1980 to its present size of 14.4 square miles with a population of approximately 8,000 plus citizens resulted in more officers being added until it reached its current roster of 30 sworn officers. Presently, the Police Department is comprised of 1 Chief, 1 Captain, 2 Lieutenants, 4 Investigators, 4 Patrol Sergeants, 4 Patrol Corporals, 12 Patrol Officers, 1 Animal Control Officer and 1 Parking Enforcement Officer. The department provides service and protection to the community 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year. The Wytheville Police Department responds to approximately 11,000 calls for service. This does not include assisting fire and rescue with their emergency calls.